New Years resolutions are often perfect storms that catapult unintentional turmoil and subsequently cause unnecessary pain. Let me explain, I can recall countless occasions where I have witnessed loved ones pledging to change their lives at the stroke of midnight on the 1st day of the new year. I remember them quickly rambling off red hot carry over goals that they missed in years prior. I too found myself caught up in this dilemma …trying to plan for the coming year in the 60 minutes prior to the ball dropping in New York’s Times Square. However, this year I vowed to move smoothly into 2016 without a traditional resolution, but with clear intentions that support my overall growth, success and happiness.
“The more aware of your intentions and your experiences you become, the more you will be able to connect the two, and the more you will be able to create the experiences of your life consciously. This is the development of mastery. It is the creation of authentic power.” Gary Zukav
I have found that life provides an ever evolving mystery, filled with happiness, sadness, fear, and opportunity. I see intentions as clear points along the path of life that are continuously moving us forward. These intentional points, are often based upon the lessons that we must address to move us closer towards being our best selves and living our life’s purpose.
Plotting a Direction in 2016
Our libraries are filled with books that talk about the importance of setting goals and I would argue that many of us get it..yes its something we should do. But how many of us actually take the time to sit and think about how we have grown and where we would like to head next?
I think the answer to this question for many of us is that I would love to do it… but I don’t have time…which I can completely understand. As a life coach I get to work with lots of people, and have found that my clients are often less excited about life when they move without an intentional direction. They often complain of feeling out of alignment, stifled, and lacking creativity and passion.
As I launched into 2016 understanding the danger of moving without intention, I developed 16 questions to support my next steps. These questions assisted me to reflect on my past year, connect to my motivation and assist me to focus on my strategic direction for this year. Through my process I learned that one of my intentions this year is to spread happiness, so I am sharing my questions with each of you below. I hope that they can support you to live with greater intention in 2016.
Reflecting on 2015
- Whats important for you to remember about 2015?
- What did you learn about yourself?
- What brought you happiness?/What made you smile?
- What 3 values lead you through this year? (faith, hope, etc)
- What were your biggest milestones? (things that shaped how you see the world)
Discovering Inspiration for 2016
- What change do you want to see in the world this year?
- Who inspires you? (past or present)
- What gives you energy?/What brings you joy?
- How would you describe your life’s purpose? or How would others describe your life’s purpose?
- What are you like as your best self?
Setting Intentions for 2016
- What would you like to spend more time doing this year? What would you like to spend less time doing this year?
- What would it look like to live more boldly this year?
- What are one or two areas of life where you would like to focus this year? What would it look like for you to focus?
- What would you like to say you have learned/accomplished by this time next year?
- How will you celebrate your lessons/accomplishments along the way this year?
- What song, poem or image represent the approach to life you would like to have in 2016?